This pesto uses Hirten cheese in place of the traditional Parmesan and swaps out the basil for canned artichoke hearts.
- 1 14-oz jar marinated artichoke hearts, drained
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup pine nuts or walnuts
- ⅓ cup fresh parsley
- ¼ cup freshly grated hirten cheese
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste (i seasoned very generously!)
- 1 lb spinach pasta (i used fettuchini)
- 1 carton grape tomatoes, cut into halves
- Additional cheese for grating over pasta
- In the large bowl of a food processor, combine artichoke hearts, garlic cloves, pine nuts, parsley, cheese, lemon zest and lemon juice. Pulse until well blended.
- Add the olive oil to the feed tube and let it slowly drain into the bowl as you blend. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Use immediately or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain (but do not rinse).
- Add artichoke pesto and grape tomatoes to warm pasta.
- Generously grate Hirten cheese over top. Serve warm.