You’ve never had a chicken salad quite like this!
- 1 pound skinless chicken breasts
- 4 tablespoons olive or walnut oil
- 4 teaspoons paprika
- 1 ½ cups chopped walnuts
- 3 chopped garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 1 teaspoon cayenne, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 slices of bread, crusts removed
- 1 quart chicken stock
- Salt and black pepper
- The juice of a lemon
- Poach the chicken breasts: Bring the chicken stock to a simmer and add the chicken breasts. Add some water if there is not enough liquid to cover the meat. Simmer gently for 10 minutes, then turn off the heat.
- Heat paprika in olive or walnut oil: Meanwhile, heat the olive or walnut oil in a small pot over low heat and add the paprika. Stir well to combine. Heat until you can smell the aroma of the paprika, then turn off the heat.
- Soak bread in broth: Tear the bread into chunks and put into a bowl. Ladle out about a cup or two of the chicken broth and pour it over the bread.
- 4 Make walnut paste: Put one cup of the walnuts into a food processor. Add the garlic, the cayenne, about a teaspoon of salt, 1 Tbsp of the parsley and the soaked bread. Pulse to make a thick, relatively chunky paste.
- If it needs a bit more chicken broth to loosen up, add some a tablespoon at a time.
- Stir the paprika-oil, then pour it into the food processor and buzz to combine. Add salt to taste.
- 5 Assemble the salad: Tear the chicken breasts into shreds. Put it in the bowl with the remaining 1/2 cup walnuts, the green onions and 1 Tbsp of parsley.
- Add the walnut-paprika paste from the food processor to the bowl and stir gently to combine everything thoroughly. Add black pepper and lemon juice to taste.