Tender morsels of chicken coated in earthy sesame seeds and lacquered with a sweet and savory glaze, this recipe makes the best sesame chicken.
- 450 grams chicken breast – skinless boneless (2 small breasts) cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon ginger juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper – ground
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar – granulated
- 2 tablespoons Shaoxing wine
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons potato starch
- 1 cup sesame seeds – whole
- scallions for garnish
- Whisk the egg white, ginger juice, salt and white pepper until frothy and then add the chicken and stir to coat evenly. Let this marinate for at least 20 minutes.
- To prepare the sauce, add the soy sauce, sugar and shaoxing to a small saucepan and boil until most of the liquid has evaporated and the mixture makes large glossy bubbles as it boils.
- Remove from the heat and then add the sesame oil and vinegar and whisk to combine. Pour the sauce into a large bowl.
- Add 1-inch of oil to heavy bottomed pot and heat to 340 degrees F (170 C).
- Drain off any excess liquid from the chicken and then add the potato starch and stir to coat evenly. The chicken should be very sticky.
- Add the sesame seeds to a bowl and bread the chicken with the sesame seeds.
- When the oil is ready, fry the chicken in batches until golden brown and then transfer directly to the bowl with the sauce.
- Once you’re done frying one batch of chicken, toss the chicken in the bowl to coat evenly with the sauce and then transfer the chicken to a serving platter.
- Repeat with the rest of the chicken and then garnish with scallions.