(Tarte Fine aux Pommes) [vegan]
This French Apple Tart (Tarte Fine aux Pommes) is a classic dessert in France. Simple and delicious, it is best made with sweet dessert apples that do not “disintegrate” when cooked (Cox, Granny Smith etc..). I add a layer of applesauce between the pastry and apples. —The Flexitarian
1 puff pastry
8.5 ounces dessert apples – for the applesauce
3-4 medium dessert apples
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons Dairy free butter
2 tablespoons light brown muscovado sugar
- To make the applesauce, peel & core 300g [8.5oz] of apples. Place in a saucepan with 4 Tbsp of water. Cover and cook under medium heat until it has reduced to applesauce (around 10 mins). Remove from heat. Add vanilla. Leave of the side.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4.
- Roll out puff pastry to fit a rectangular oven tray. Approximatively 37 x 26cm (10 x 14.5 inches).
- While you make the apple sauce start cutting the other apples into thin slices using a sharp knife or mandoline.
- When the applesauce is ready, spread it evenly on top of the puff pastry leaving a thin border (2cm / 0.8 inch) all around.
- Overlap apple slices on top to cover the whole tart.
- Once all the apples are laid out, dot tart with dairy free butter and sprinkle sugar on top.
- Brush some melted dairy free butter on the plain border.
- Cook for 30mins until crisp and golden.
- If you wish, when the tart is cooked, you can add some additional topping such as: (vegan) caramel sauce, toasted almond flakes or melted apricot jam.